Tastier vegan foods, convenient coffee and cacao-based treats will be all the buzz in 2021, according to a new food trend report from WGSN, a global trend forecasting organization.
WGSN’s Food & Drink forecasting platform recently named eight key food trends to watch for in 2021. The trends reveal what’s next in plant-based innovation, convenient quaffing, functional ingredients, and comfort food. According to WGSN, rapid changes fueled by COVID-19 have affected how consumers shop, eat and gather around food.
“With a focus on inspiring and informing strategic new product design, we used a consumer-first approach to analyze and forecast the trends food makers and brands need to know now for future success,” says Kara Nielsen, WGSN’s director of Food & Drink and a long-time food trend authority. “Our research points to these trends to meet consumer needs and desires next year and to inspire innovative new products with global potential.”
WGSN’s 2021 Food & Drink Trends are:
- Make Room for Labriculture. The food-tech arena will surge with lab-grown beef, seafood and dairy joining plant-based meat and dairy by year’s end as alternatives to animal products.
- Craveable Vegan. Expect tastier vegan tacos, soul food and indulgent snacks from chefs and creators pairing exciting plant-based ingredients with favorite flavors.
- Coffee Convenience. Homebound coffee drinking is yielding more convenient coffee formats like concentrates, steeped, single-serve bags and edible coffee snacks.
- Canned Everything. Along with canned wine, cocktails and hard beverages, 2021 will welcome innovation in sustainable aluminum cans to support our passion for portable potables.
- Crazy for Cacao. Chocolate lovers will have more to enjoy thanks to resourceful new products being created from cacao pods, and increased attention to cacao’s heritage and preservation.
- Burnt Basque Cheesecake. This buzzy dessert’s oozing, creamy center and alluring charred top will move from Instagram comfort-food darling to menu and freezer-case treat.
- Brain Food. It’s been hard to focus this year. Brands will leverage the mental clarity benefits of L-Theanine, the amino acid that powers green tea and other nootropics, to help us think clearly.
- Sleepy Time Eats. Need some rest? Turn to new food and drink designed to promote a good night’s sleep, from natural botanicals, fruits and other nutritious ingredients.