The International Home + Housewares Show, held from March 10 to March 13 at Chicago’s McCormick Place, is the biggest show of the housewares industry. New products are launched, new introductions are made, new brands are welcomed into the industry and networking opportunities present themselves in both professional settings and party-like atmospheres.
Here at GOURMET INSIDER®, we spent the time talking to as many independent retailers as we could, talking to vendors about market trends and shopping the show for interesting product finds.
In case you missed it, we put together a roundup of some of the 2018 show highlights.
- The gourmet industry kicked off its IH+HS 2018 presence with HTI’s annual One Voice Conference. The buying group had four mini-sessions, a presentation from Pointy and a vendor showcase.
- HTI continued the celebration by marking its 20th anniversary at a member cocktail dinner. There, the buying group named its top retailers and vendors from 2017.
- GC Buying Group held a pre-show breakfast in which Christopher Kimball disclosed more information about the cooking school program he announced at the group’s January Start The Year member meeting. Kimball spoke exclusively to Gourmet Insider (stay tuned for the video interview) about his foray into the housewares industry with new lines from Regal Ware, Kuhn Rikon and Zwilling, and about his new partnership with Gourmet Catalog.
- Gourmet Insider tapped several retailers to shop the show and scope out new and exciting products. The group found a new microwave grill from Lékué; Chef’n Craft Coffee Maker for all the customers that are riding the craft coffee trend; Aroma DoveWare in a marble pattern; the Vesta Precision sous vide; an expanded line of colorful spatulas and new utensils, including a slotted spoon, from GIR: Get It Right; and TasteTro, which gives users access to spice blends at the touch of a button.
And, while the show may be over, the coverage is just beginning. Gourmet Insider worked the show floor to find out what the latest trends are, some new undiscovered goods and what the
- Chefs Ludo Lefebvre, Cat Cora and Alexandra Guarnaschelli spoke to Gourmet Insider about what food and cocktail trends are growing in the world of dining out and how they will translate into demand for housewares. The video will launch early next week.
- Karen and Brad Hughes of Cincinnati, OH-based Artichoke took Gourmet Insider on a walking tour of the show. There, they pointed out some new products and some of their favorite vendors. Look for that video later this week.
- Many of you followed along on our social media pages as we shared our show experience with you. To catch up on what you missed, check out our Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.